Friday, February 4, 2011

On Projectile Motion, Part 2

February 4, 2011; 8:30-11:30; NIP R108

This meeting was basically another one devoted to experimentation concerning projectile motion. This time, we were tasked to measure the y-component (height) of the projectile as we vary the x-component (range) while, in turn, varying the angle four times (0, 15, 30 and 45 degrees). This was arguably an easier task since the ball (projectile) was flung to the wall, therefore it did not go to far-off places like last meeting.

If we know the x and y components and the angle of the projectile, its initial velocity could be computed. From my last post,
Y=X*tanA-0.5g*(X/(Vi*cosA))^2
We know X, Y and A, therefore the only missing term in the equation is the initial velocity.

We encountered difficulty with the "projectile gun" or whatever it is called because it disassembled itself every now and then, therefore the tightness of the spring in the gun varied, in turn, varying the force (and the initial velocity) in which the ball was released. This arose when we were measuring the height with the angle of inclination at 30 degrees. We had erratic data during this part, i.e., the distance fluctuated up and down (due to the varying force) where it was supposed to resemble a parabola with simply one peak.

We were very efficient as a group, finishing ahead of time and encountering little difficulty apart from the aforementioned problem. I was also more useful this lab meeting- I was responsible for recording and encoding the data for my new group. I also became less shy with my group mates, mainly because they were very friendly with me. The initial awkwardness I felt with them last meeting was gone, and I hope that when we begin writing the technical report, I hope that my awkwardness with them would be gone, too.

This meeting made me realize how demanding physics research is. It was very tedious to repeat the same steps over and over again, therefore experimentation could be regarded as a test of endurance- it shows how dedicated one is as a scientist.

No comments:

Post a Comment